Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Doodle Boy




Church - Sun 7-19-09

When I was a little boy sitting uncomfortably in church on Sunday morning, I would steal little scraps of bulletin paper and draw. Over time this became how I was able to concentrate best during meetings and presentations. In both high school and college I obsessively doodled on syllabus and notebooks and to this day I do so on my desk calender.  

For onlookers, to draw when someone is speaking is "horribly rude and inconsiderate." In a two or three person discussion I would agree, but when you are just listening to the performance or lecture, it is one of the best ways to keep your mind active...

In this post are two such doodles.



During a lecture at the opening of The International Cartoon Art Museum in Columbus.  It was fascinating to see the reverence towards what many consider disposable art juxtaposed with the uncertainty of the medium. The character to the left is a caricature of Mort Walker...

Happy Drawing

M

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

matt,
you have mirrored my thoughts. church always was an excellent place in which to sketch contentedly for an hour :), as was class. every class. for what? 16 years of my life? and now i'm graduated. no more school. and now i'm a youth leader...so setting an example and all that in church is now a perrogative. and sketching by myself in an empty house, no matter how much time i have, never seems to work as well as sketching somewhere where i'm technically supposed to be paying attention to something else :P.
so my sketchbook has been extremely lonely. and something in my soul has been as well...
looks like i'm going to have to go for my master's ;).